By far, my BIGGEST pet peeve when it comes to essential oils is the common recommendation to use them undiluted.
While there can be a time and a place for undiluted use, essential oils definitely shouldn’t be used that way routinely. Not only is there the potential for a bad reaction, there it’s also wasteful! You end up using more essential oils then you need for a positive benefit, and undiluted essential oils will evaporate faster without first absorbing into your body.
(*Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I might receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using those links*)
Safe Dilution Rates
Generally, lower dilution rates are going to be safer than higher dilution rates. But at the same time, you don’t want to dilute too much, or else you won’t get the beneficial effects.
Here are a few of the “rules of thumb” that I use when choosing dilution rates for new recipes:
- Use lower dilutions for younger children, and higher dilutions for adults (ages 12+).
- Certain oils may have special rules about dilution rates, such as some citrus oils (which can cause photosensitivity) or other oils with special properties. If you’re not sure, do your research and/or consult an expert before diluting.
- Essential oils being used for a short-term, specific purpose (for example, on a wart or for a specific illness), may use a higher dilution rate than essential oils being used daily.
You can get more information about safe essential oil dilution rates from The Tisserand Institute.
How to find Roller Bottle Supplies
There are a few supplies that you definitely need to make a roller bottle! Like…
Empty Roller Bottles
You can find roller bottles in many sizes, but the most common are 10-ml (2 tsp) and 5-ml (1 tsp). These brands are my absolute favorites that I use both for my family AND in the Mommy Plus More Online Boutique:
- 10-ml Roller Bottles: The gorgeous, gradient colors and lids with detachable keychain loops totally won me over. They also come with extra, stainless steel roller balls just in case you receive a leaky one (which I rarely have).
- 5-ml Roller Bottles: Very pretty pastel colors, and also has lids with detachable keychain loops. Perfect for traveling, keeping in my purse or diaper bag, or giving to the kids.
The only potential downside is that these bottles must be purchased in 24-packs, but trust me…they’re worth it! After all, empty roller bottles never “go bad”, and the packaging doesn’t take up much space. But if you really don’t want that many, then split them with a friend or two!
A lot of people recommend using fractionated coconut oil as a carrier oil, but I actually don’t use it very often.
There’s nothing wrong with using it, but I prefer more “multi-purpose” options that also stay liquid at room temperature, like:
- Jojoba Oil: This is my favorite option, because it is closest to your skin’s natural oils. That’s why it makes such a great face moisturizer, is a key ingredient in my Body Butter Recipe, AND can be used to remove make-up (including waterproof mascara!). Besides Amazon, I can also usually find it for a decent price at Trader Joes.
- Avocado OIl: This is the primary cooking oil that I use in my kitchen, so it’s convenient to use it in my roller bottles, too. We seriously go through a gallon every 1-2 months (for cooking, not for roller bottles…) But if you won’t use that much, feel free to find a smaller bottle!
- Olive Oil: Most people have this in their kitchen already, so it can be a great carrier oil option when you just want to use what you already have.
Obviously, these are going to be your most important ingredient! If you aren’t using a good quality brand that you trust, then you probably won’t get the results that you’re hoping for.
(And if you don’t already have a brand that you trust, contact me and I’ll tell you what I like to use!)
You can always do your own research and create your own Immune Boosting blend out of individual essential oils. But I find that it’s waaay easier (and usually less expensive) to go ahead and buy an already mixed Immune Boosting blend. They’re easy to find, and most major brands offer their own custom blend.
That way, you’ll have it available to make your own Immune Support Essential Oil Roller Bottle Recipe (as described below!), you can diffuse it, or even take it internally (if it’s labeled as a food-safe supplement).
Or…buy pre-made essential oil roller bottles!
The Mommy plus More Online Boutique offers a variety of essential oil roller bottles that have been custom blended by yours truly! So if you’re already at your limit and don’t want another DIY project to feel guilty about, then save yourself some time and see what I’ve currently got in stock.
Immune Support Essential Oil Roller Bottle Recipe
- 15 drops Your Favorite Immune Boosting Essential Oil Blend* (15 drops equals a 5% dilution, and is recommended for adults. For kids ages 6-12 years, reduce to 9 drops for a 3% dilution)
- 2 tsp Skin safe carrier oil** (Jojoba oil is my fav)
- 1 10-ml Roller Bottle** (Optional: Two 5-ml Roller Bottles)
- Add 15 drops of essential oil to the 10-ml roller bottle. (If using two 5-ml roller bottles, divide the number of drops in approximately half for each bottle)
- Pour your skin-safe carrier oil into roller bottle, and fill up to the "shoulder" of the bottle.
- Push the roller ball top securely onto the bottle.
- Recommended use: Apply to preferred skin area once per day when feeling well for general immune support. When sick, apply every 1-2 hours while awake. Remember, a smaller amount of essential oils applied consistently is more effective than a large amount applied only once! More is *not* always better.