What’s better than chicken noodle soup when you’re sick?
How about chicken noodle soup that actually has nutritious ingredients that nourish your body and help you recover from whatever ails you?
(*Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I might receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using those links*)
See, the problem with most store-bought soups (and broths) is that they don’t actually contain much nutrition anymore…just artificial flavors. See, back when Chicken Noodle Soup was first called a “cure all”, it was made with garden fresh veggies, pastured chicken meat, homemade noodles, and…most importantly of all…broth that had been long simmered with the bones of healthy chickens.
Nowadays, most store-bought broths are made with water, salt, and “chicken flavoring”. Whatever THAT is…
Sourcing Nutritious Ingredients
I like to keep the ingredients for this simple chicken noodle soup in my house at all times. That way, I’m always prepared to make a quick and nutritious soup for lunch or dinner. Plus, I don’t have to worry about going grocery shopping when anyone in my family gets sick and I really need to make it!
Sourcing Nutritious Veggies
Onions and potatoes last a long time on the counter at room temperature, and carrots keep for weeks in the crisper drawer of your fridge. All three veggies are so easy to use in other recipes that you should never be in danger of them going bad!
And since we want to maximize the nutrition available in our produce so that we can support our body’s immune system, I prefer to source my produce from local farmers that use sustainable farming practices.
For me, the most convenient (and cost-effective) option is Seasonal Roots. Our family has been taking advantage of their easy ordering (with free delivery) for 5 years now. Check and see if you are in their service area! If you are, then you can use promo code “LETSGROW3” to get $15 off your annual membership.
Sourcing Nutritious Pantry Items
The most important non-veggie ingredient that you want to source well is bone broth. Making your own is most nutritious and actually quite easy (and cheap) to do! But unless you’ve already been making homemade bone broth on a regular basis, you’re probably not going to feel like starting when everyone’s sick.
Luckily, it’s pretty easy to buy bone broth nowadays. Just make sure that it SAYS “Bone Broth” on the label…and maybe double check the ingredients just to be sure.
In fact, Wal-mart even has an “off-brand” of bone broth for a super affordable price! And since Wal-mart also offers online ordering and delivery, you can buy Bone Broth today and get $10 off your first online order.
Super Simple Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 medium Potatoes, diced
- 2 large Carrots, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 6 cups Chicken Bone Broth*
- 1/4-1/2 pound Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti Noodles, broken into fourths (amount depends on how "noodley" you like it. You can also substitute with YOUR favorite "comfort noodle" shape)**
- 25 ounces Canned Chicken Breast Chunks, drained (or feel free to use any cooked chicken you have on-hand)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Splash Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tbsp Oil (I like using avocado oil)
Optional Add-In Ideas:
- 1.5 tsp Turmeric (known for it's anti-inflammatory effects)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger (or to taste) (excellent for nausea)
- 2 cloves Garlic, diced (after dicing, let sit for 10-15 minutes before cooking for maximum health benefits)
- 1 cup Frozen Spinach (if the kids ask, just tell them it's "seasoning")
- Saute diced onion in oil until soft and translucent. If using garlic, add it to saute pan when onions are almost finished.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20-minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Add the chicken and spaghetti noodles. Bring broth to a boil and cook according to the instructions on the noodle package. For me, that's usually 7-9 minutes.
- Add a splash of Lemon Juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add any optional ingredients that you choose.
- Serve and enjoy!